Wednesday, February 09, 2005

travel advice: always wear a belt in the Bible belt

They may speak the same language down here (which some could argue, but that's a whole different post), but it's sometimes like I'm living in a foreign country. Take a regional news story for example:

The Virginian legislature has taken it upon themselves to protect the delicate sensibilities of the people of their great state from the horrors of underwear. A 65% majority passed a bill that calls for a $50 fine for underwear visible above low-slug pants, displayed in a "lewd and indecent manner."

I wonder if the next thing on the agenda is a bill to combat the classic plumber's crack? Or is it visible panty lines? In any case I'm sure the people of Virginia will be quite giddy this year while doing their taxes, just knowing that their dollars helped keep The Old Dominion State safe from not only boxers, but also briefs and thongs.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

An update:

Who ever thought of the two house system of government needs a big thanks from Virginia. The Senate committee killed unanimous voted down the pants bill.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Well, at least I know I can visit Virginia without fear of prosecution!

8:11 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Wwwhhheewwww!! I was really worried about the mandatory belt law. I mean who doesn't like showing their underpants? I use them as sort of a bill board, companies pay me big money to show their slogans and logos! The petroleum comanies are the best. Nothing says 'go get some gas' like reading an add printed on someone's bum!

It just really infringes on my constitutional right to freedom of expression.

Though it would be a fun law if suspenders were an acceptable alternative. I always thought suspenders got the short end of the stick in modern fashion.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home