Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Nice Job

Well Dana, you did it again! 'Effectively killed' another conversation. . .

That's alright, I'll try my best here to produce some sort of small talk in the vain attempt to get a reaction from someone.

So last Friday I had to go to a Hammermill at an Ethanol in S.E. South Dakota. Leaving Harlan the weather wasn't too bad. We drove the whole way to the Big Sioux River (border of Ia and SD) without incident. Then almost immediately as we started into SD the wind picked up and snow began to fall. Remarkable !!! So anyway. I had the opportunity, nay, the privilage, to work outside all day on a hammermill (three of them acctually) in 20 mph winds gusting to about 40+ mph. And a few inches of seemingly-sideways-falling snow. And I almost forgot, the mills were up on a steel platform about 20-25 ft. from the ground. And if any of you knows anything about heights and wind, you might be able to appreciate the fact that I could almost lean into the wind and take a nap standing up.

So to all of you who live in or around SD, Northern IA and MN I can sympathize with the 'little' snow storm you had last week.

until next time.
rhk

3 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

Glad you lived to tell the tale. And wondering if you've completely thawn out yet. And now wondering if "thawn" is even a word. Hmmmm...

4:25 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

I'll ask. I've got no self-pride:

What's a Hammermill? I assume it's not a mill where they make hammers...

4:56 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

That's a very good question Jay. I get it a lot!

So just what is a Hammermill? Well it's a pretty basic concept. The idea of a Hammermill is to grind up or 'pulverize' a given product. As you can imagine there are many different sizes, shapes and brands. The company I work for makes only the replacemnet parts: Hammers, Screens, Rods and Spacers. Not the 'mill' itself.

the mill is comprised of an electric motor that turns a big cylinder comprised of a set of 'rotor plates'. The hammers are held in the plates by the 'rods' which run axially through this set of plates. as the rotor spins centrifugal force makes the hammers 'straighten out'. As this assembly of parts is rotating (at a pretty good speed!!) the 'grind product' is introduced throuh the top of the mill and is then ground up or milled. the product is crushed until it is small enough to fit through the holes of the screen surrounding the rotor. So depending on what you are grinding and how small you need it, the screen perferation size varies greatly.

That's pretty much how it all works. I'll try to attach a drawing, but I don't know if it will be clear enough.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home